Friday, April 17, 2009

That's Just What I Was Saying

Having skipped over the Reader's Digest Condensed Encyclicals, I started reading Rasmussen today, and I came across this:
Christ gave the Apostles the guidance of the Holy Spirit to judge matters of faith and morals, not to answer every question that could ever be asked. [p. 41]
Exactly! But that's just what I was saying last August - especially in Part Two (well, it's part of what I was saying).

Not every question merits an answer. Not every question has an answer that can be comprehended by the one asking it, and sometimes no man can grasp the answers. We're limited, while God is infinite. We do not need to have every question answered that comes to mind. This is where humility must come into play. The Church teaches that which we need to know in order to be saved, even if we do not understand all of it.

2 comments:

Martin said...

I think about this alot. It's like the corollary of the internet that every post doesn't justify the "icing" of a comment. Most of the time I comment on posts it's more to see my own words out there than to add something intelligent.

Oops :)

Fred Noltie said...

LOL

That's funny.

Similarly, not every comment to a post justifies the icing of a further comment in reply.

Oops. :-)

Have a great day.

Peace,

RdP